Friday, May 9, 2014

Shout Out to My Coworkers

For people that don't know I am working in a grant funded position at a crime lab that does not have benefits and only gives me 5 sick and 5 vacation days a year that have to be accrued.  When I decided to donate most of my time was already used on other things.  I have the option to work Comp time which I started to do as much as I could (without getting burnt out) to get as much paid time off for the surgery as I could with a goal of 3 full weeks off.  This week I realized I was 2 days and 5 hours short with plans to find time to work 5 extra hours to make it only 2 days.  I only was able to do 2 extra hours this week, but thankfully my coworkers pulled together their comp time which my Boss let them donate to me.  This means I do not have to worry about missing pay while out, which is one less thing to worry about.  Hopefully, now I will only need the 3 weeks I have planned to heal.  I am grateful to work in a great environment with a awesome boss and such thoughtful coworkers.  Their support in my decision to donate means a lot especially since I know they are going to have to pick up some of my daily tasks while I'm out.

Also, I am going for my preop appointment today so hopefully everything goes well.  We are now less then one week away from surgery.  So I will update later with that.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you were able to accrue enough time for your recovery!! I don't know very many company's/contracts/positions which allow coworkers to donate their leave time, but it's wonderful that you have such an awesome and supportive work environment. :) Fingers crossed for all the good things!

    ReplyDelete