Monday, May 12, 2014

Preop appointment and more.

Its almost here and things seem to still be on track!  Friday I went in for my preop appointment.  Met with my surgeon Dr. Lamattina.  Didn't really go over anything new.  My mom and I both like him and feel good about him performing the surgery.  Should still be the single port surgery (click for video of surgery)  and he said he has never had to convert it to an open nefrectomy. He has had to add a second port before, but I think that is on very rare occasions.  After meeting with him quickly I went over to the prepcenter where I had to wait 15 min.  (mind you they called me 3 times to make sure I would be there on time and then made me wait when I was there on time).  They took blood samples, urine samples, checked my airways, and asked a ton of questions most of which the answer was no.  It was quick enough and easy.  They also gave me this bracelet to wear until Thursday...
I did the Warrior Dash Saturday and cut it off beforehand so I didn't destroy it.  There has to be a better way to keep track of people then making them wear a bracelet for a week.  Dave cut his off before his kidneys were removed so I think it will be fine.  Plus I think the mud would have destroyed it.  I'll just take it with me on Thursday morning.
(Me all the way on the right and my Warrior Dash Group!)

Dave has to have some blood work drawn today and go to an information session about post surgery.  I think he is learning how to take his drugs and stuff.  I'll learn more about it all tonight.  The blood work they do today will make sure our blood still mixes well which hopefully it will since he has had 2 blood transfusions since the initial cross match.  

Now we are currently just trying to get the house cleaned up.  I want the bedroom clean encase people come upstairs to see us, all the laundry to be done, and other little things.  I'm working every day until the surgery so I feel like it will be here super quick. I think working right up to it will help keep my anxiety away and I think Wed. night I should go do some yoga.  I feel ready and calm about it all still and am glad I am able to donate.  It is weird though to think that by the end of this week Dave will have a part of my body inside of him.  

I also think that we should name the Kidney, probably something gender neutral.  If you have any suggestions post them in the comments for me!

Thanks for the support everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Will you want any visitors? I work across the street from UMMC and could bring goodies if desired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I am not sure? Having never had a surgery before I don't know how I'm going to be feeling and I don't know if I will want a lot of people around until I'm up and around. But I appreciate the offer :D

      Delete