Monday, December 30, 2013

Dealing With A Needle Phobic recipient Part 2

I WAS ABLE TO MAKE HIM GET BLOOD WORK!!!!!!

Okay, I don't know if it is that exciting but it is exciting.  After taking him out for a Chic-Fil-a Breakfast and trying to actually find the lab corp, Dave gave blood pretty easily for him.  I made him lay down and just stood by him while the guy did his thing.  It was kind of cool because the phlebotomist was a dialysis patient who had had a transplant as well as tried peritoneal Dialysis(PD).  PD is something Dave may be looking into considering his dislike of needles(but we are all hoping for a transplant instead).  The phlebotomist apparently didn't like PD, so who knows?  He also mentioned how he had a transplant from his Aunt that lasted 7 or 8 years (lets hope Dave's will last longer!) and that it was odd because before the transplant he hated celery, and his aunt loved it, then after the transplant he loved celery.  Weird?  Maybe if I give Dave a kidney he will like tomatoes?

On another note I think he is getting a lot better with his fear of needles and being stuck.  He did awesome.  Which is a good sign for the future after transplant when he has to give blood frequently to get his kidney function checked.

While at lab corp I picked up my HUGE urine container.... fun... But the lady who gave it to me said I could keep it outside to keep it cold which I feel is a great idea.  YAY more refrigerator space!  Hopefully I will get that done next Sunday, then return it Monday and do some more blood tests to find out more info about be being able to donate.  I'm wondering how long it will take UMMC to get the results after I drop off the container and do the blood work?  Hopefully quick so I can know whats next!

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment