Monday, December 23, 2013

First Post!!!

I have decided to try and become a Living Kidney Donor (LKD)!  This is a exciting, nervous, anxious, different, life saving thing I have decided to do and so I can sort out all my thoughts, trials, and experiences I decided to start this blog.  Blogging is something I have tried before and had no patience with but I am hopping for my own purposes that I keep this up.  Maybe one day it will help other people with their decision of becoming a Living Kidney Donor.

The Beginning
So the beginning of my decision to become a LKD started last April, about 8 months ago.  My boyfriend, Dave, was experiencing weird leg cramps (which I told him he should get checked and he never did) that led to dizzy spells.  After having one of these dizzy spells in front of his mother, she forced him to get it checked out at the ER.  I was at work at the time and he and I had talked about his symptoms before thinking it may be something he was lacking in his diet or something minor like that, so when he said he was going to the ER I was not immediately concerned.  I told him to let me know when they figured it out or if he needed me.  He spent most of his day waiting, I had plans that night, without him, so I continued on with them, he still waiting when I left to go out.  

Around 11pm, when I was driving home, he called me to say they were admitting him.  I didn't want to talk while driving and he said he would call me back in an hour.  An hour comes and goes, nothing.  I eventually call the number he called me from, they say he is with the doctor and to call back in 15-20min.  mean while I am waiting nervously at my house,  not knowing whats going on.  After 30min. I call back he is still unavailable and they said they would let him know I called.  Eventually he calls me back and lets me know they are moving him to the ICU, and that basically his kidneys were failing.  I quickly grabbed some of his stuff and ran over to the hospital.

When I arrived at the hospital and found Dave he was in the same ICU room my mom was in a few months before (creepy right, but she came out just fine, so good feeling there).  I found out that he was diagnosed with end stage renal disease caused by a genetic disorder he has, Tubular Sclerosis.  According to the doctors they were amazed he was up and walking around when he came in based on his creatinine numbers.  They were going to monitor him and hopefully start him on Dialysis as soon as possible.  Which they did the next day.  

Transplant Listing
After he was out of the hospital he set up an appointment to get on Johns Hopkins list for a transplant.  By the time the appointment was scheduled it was the end of June/beginning of July and I had thought about giving him my kidney (meaning I had the idea in my head) but his dad was going to get tested and I figured I would see how that went first.  I am only 25 years old and my mom, and others are concerned about long term risks and the possibility of me getting pregnant in the future, which is mainly why I waited and didn't get tested right away.

Disappointment and 2nd listing
The Initial test was great!  They were a match!  But as the testing progressed (and time went by) his dad was ruled out as a donor, disappointing us all.  This probably happened 2 months ago?  Dave's mom, a dialysis nurse who has had a transplant herself, suggested that we get Dave on a second list.  So an appointment was made at the University of Maryland Medical center.  This appointment was less then a month ago.  Dave seemed to like that center better.  While there they stress how one can be on the list for a deceased kidney for a long time and how a living kidney is so much better.  Something we all already knew but hearing it again made me seriously consider donating especially since Dave's dad was no longer a match (even though UMMC is re-looking over his data, maybe they will accept him?).  

Taking the first step
A week after that appointment I sent in my paperwork and received a call the next day to set up a time to get my blood typed and tissue tested to see if Dave and I match.  This was the first step on my road to possibly being a kidney donor.  I did the blood test and found out less then a week ago that we are the same blood type, have one matching antigen, and our blood "Mixed well".  This meaning I can continue on with the testing.  The results came back fast and while I am excited I am also anxious as I find time to do the 24hour urine collection that is next.  Giving my kidney up is a big thing and a risk that I hope I am willing to take.

Okay, that is it for now.  I plan to post more about the pros and cons of living kidney donation to the donor, my story as it continues, my worries, joys, and more as it all unfolds.   There is more I could write now but this is already way too long for anyone to be interested in reading.  

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment