Tuesday, April 8, 2014

3D Printing Organs

Found a good article about the 3D printing of organs and different opinions on it.
"Basically what it allows you to do is build tissue the way you assemble something with Legos," Murphy said
 I feel the technology behind this is fascinating.  There are so many different things you can do with science these days it is amazing.  I can see some of the ethical debates about regulating organs grown through 3D printing and keeping up with the quality of organs produced.  But overall I think this technology that as it progresses will hopefully be able to offer more organs to people that need them.  To me getting people off of transplant lists having them be able to stop waiting so long for an organ, be it a organ grown in a lab or one from another person is what is important.  I know from experience now with Dave waiting for the Kidney transplant that Dialysis sucks and the waiting sucks.  Hopefully if he every needs another kidney (A long time from now I hope) science and technology will have progressed far enough to get him one right away, possibly by growing one specifically for him in a laboratory.  The Dr. at Johns Hopkins said that might be the case and I can only hope for more research into the creation of human organs.

On another note It would be really interesting to be on the teams researching this (organ legos sound awesome!), maybe I should have branched out a bit in my studies and learned more about the biology fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment