Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Update You have all been waiting for!

Assuming the report on my EKG comes back normal, and one additional blood test (that will be done with my pre-op blood work) due to the fact my Mom has Lupus is okay, there should be a surgery in March!

I'm super excited, but also super anxious at the same time.  Looking over my work time saved up I'll only have 3 full paid days off (I accrue time at a slow rate), this combined with the fact I have never had surgery before makes me pretty nervous.  I know it will all work out, but I am still worried.  I am thinking of starting up one of those sites like kick started that help people for other situations to possibly try and raise money for when I am out so I can be confident in paying everything on time those few weeks.  But I also hate asking for money so I am not committed to that idea yet.

Well I just have to relax some more (going to see Jen the end of this month will probably help with that) and figure everything out.  But overall EXCITEMENT!

5 comments:

  1. Amber, I have enjoyed following your posts. My best advise to you is to pray, in prayer you will know for sure if you are following God's will and that should help you with some of your worries. YES, do a fund raiser for Dave, for all his bills and yours.
    Prayers for both of you. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I appreciate all of the prayers! Praying about this has been something I've been doing since Dave was Diagnosed, I know that God is definitely going to be one of my biggest resources in going through this process.

      Delete
    2. I actually did a quick look for this: "Time off from work and travel expenses are not covered by Medicare or private insurance. However, donors may be eligible for sick leave, state disability and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Some follow-up expenses may also not be covered, so it's important to discuss these matters with the transplant center. The financial counselor at the transplant center can answer any questions you have about the cost of donation."
      Could you apply for state disability? Either of you?

      Delete
    3. If I was a state/federal employee they have donor pay, but the state of MD doesn't have anything that I have found or been told about. The social worker I talked to does work with some group that tried to help with some bills during recovery and she was going to look into if student loans are something they could help with (it had never come up before I asked) so hopefully she will hear something about that. Any other assistance I feel they would have mentioned to me already.

      Dave will get short term disability through his job, he has some awesome insurance.

      Delete
  2. You GO, girl! You're incredibly amazing. I only just had the time to catch up on your blog posts. A fundraiser/kickstarter etc is a great idea. Considering you already have a consistent going and a ton of support, it will not be hard to offer a way for your friends and support group to help! We must do swing dancing soon, too. :) <3

    ReplyDelete