Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Transplant Pushed Back

So I found this out last Wed. but I also went to Reno last Wed. so I have not had time to update.  The surgeon looked over Dave's MRI and decided he could not remove the kidneys and place a new one in at the same time.  We are a little unclear on the reason why and just heard this from Dave's coordinator but Dave will meet with the surgeon tomorrow and is going to ask about it.  This means Friday he will have a bilateral nephrectomy (removal of both of his kidneys).  After about 2 months when everything is healed we can then go through with the transplant.  Dave is not happy about being cut into twice but if it is the best way to keep my kidney from rejecting then that is what will have to happen.

Also, received the results of the test they did because my Mom has lupus.  It came back negative which is a good sign.  Hopefully Dave will heal up quick and we can get him a new kidney as soon as possible (taking into account I have already paid for the warrior dash and it will have to happen after that, luckily he understands that I want to run the race before the transplant even if it can happen before it).  This would put the transplant sometime in May.

I do not know how many more updates there will be in the next 2 months with nothing happening on my part, but I will try and post updates about Dave's nephrectomy healing here and there and will definitely update when a new date is selected.  So if you just follow this blog randomly, you might want to subscribe using your e-mail at the right if you are interested in future updates (you might forget about this blog in 2 months and want a reminder in the form of an e-mail).

On a side note Reno was awesome!  Glad Dave had a small vacation before surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment