Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Two years since we discovered ESRD

According to Time Hop and Facebooks new feature, on this day, I was reminded that two years ago yesterday is when we first found out Dave needed a kidney transplant.  It is crazy to look back at all that has happened since then.  I am grateful that in those 2 years we have been able to get back to a Dialysis free life and move on the best we can.  Hopefully we can keep it up and remain healthy for years to come.

I'm not sure what else to add to this post, I just thought it was something that should be mentioned.

Oh and I did get a replacement kidney tattoo the other day.  Better pictures to come once it is 100% healed and I'm showing it off at the beach celebrating our kidneyaversery in a month (celebrating a month early haha)




Also, if you have any questions, or if there is anything you want to know about, please ask!  I'm not sure what to write about now that its all pretty much over, so if you have ideas let me know and I will make them happen!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, first of all congrats on your successful donation and on the engagement. I'm currently in the process of getting tested to be a kidney donor for my dad, he has polycystic kidney disease and has been on dialysis for a couple of years now.
    I am also 25 years old and I noticed you touched on your worry of carrying a child and becoming a parent in the future? This is one of my biggest worries that something could affect my chances of a family, was you supplied with any information that made you feel more secure in your decision?..
    Iv really enjoyed reading this blog and it has definitely helped me feel more at ease, thank you for that xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad it has helped you feel more at ease. That is exactly what I was hoping to do with this blog, so now I know I succeeded.
      As for the pregnancy thing I used the study linked below for knowledge on it.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19353771 At the end of this abstract they mention how post donation pregnancies are similar to the general public but not pre donation pregnancies. This being said I felt since the statistics were similar to the general public then I probably had about the same chances of having these complications as anyone else after donation. As for comparing it to pre-donation pregnancies I believe (without being able to read the whole paper) that that people who were pregnant before donating and then again after had more complications after, but there isn't a direct link to it being caused by a result of the donation. So really the complications being similar to the general public is what let me be okay with it all.

      Hope that helps a little?

      Good luck with the Donating! Hope everything goes awesome!

      Delete